How To Kill Listeria Bacteria with Hydroxyls by Odorox/Pyure
and Interesting Listeria Facts
The bacterium Listeria monocytogenes causes the infectious disease Listeriosis.
These bacteria are widely distributed throughout the world and can be found in vegetation, soil, water, and even the feces of some animals.
People who have compromised immune systems, are pregnant, or are elderly are at higher risk of being infected. They need to make sure that they avoid eating high-risk foods.
Some high-risk foods include smoked, fermented, cured, and cooked meat products; deli meat; smoked fish; and soft cheese.
This is a very serious disease but it possible to prevent and treat Listeria.
What is Listeria?
As far as foodborne diseases go, foodborne listeriosis is very severe although very rare. Unfortunately, listeria transmission is fairly easy because the bacteria can survive and multiply even in the refrigerator. It also can cause death. Infection occurs mostly by eating foods contaminated with the bacteria, although pregnant women can pass it to their unborn babies.
L. monocytogenes are in animal tracts, soil, and water. Manure fertilizer can contaminate vegetables and food that is stored for long periods of time can easily become a breeding ground, prompting many people to wonder how to kill the Listeria bacteriaAny foods that last for a long time in the refrigerator as well as foods that don’t need cooking before being eaten can harbor Listeria. Some products are more commonly affected, such as fermented raw sausage.
The Top Listeria Food Sources of Concern
meat spread, smoked salmon, frankfurters, unpasteurized ice cream and milk, and prepared coleslaw. Even fruit and vegetables can be the cause of an outbreak.
Listeria Prevention, Treatment, & Control
Early diagnosis, the use of antibiotics, and other medical care can decrease symptoms and save a person’s life.
It’s important to focus on listeria removal and control in all food sources to keep food from being contaminated. Food manufacturers need to make sure that they are testing for this bacterium and monitoring environments where food is stored for extended periods of time. Additionally, they need to focus on preventing Listeria monocytogenes in foods that are ready to eat as this is a prime location where this bacterium can survive and thrive.
Using Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS), doctors and scientists are able to more rapidly determine where the outbreak occurred by linking the L. monocytogenes from certain foods to the people who were affected. This makes it possible to slow and stop the spread of this bacterium.
The bacteria that cause listeria monocytogenes meningitis are killed by cooking and pasteurization. Safe food handling is important, especially for people who are in a high-risk group. People in these groups need to avoid unpasteurized milk and juice, carefully follow food expiration guidelines, and cook food before eating to kill bacteria.
To get rid of this bacterium in your home, office, or medical building, it is a good idea to use an Odorox/Pyure Hydroxyl Generator air machine. These machines are able to eliminate and kill all bacteria in the air and on surfaces, helping to sanitize your space effectively.
This past holiday season, I experienced significant smoke damage in my home from an electrical malfunction in my oven, which occurred when running the oven cleaning cycle on a timer in the middle of the nightÑit appeared that the thermostat had stopped working, and the oven temperature just kept rising and rising. When the smoke detectors went off, I wakened and opened my bedroom door on the second floor and saw nothing but smoke in the hallwayÑI could not even see downstairs. There were no flames, just heavy smoke.
The smoke had traveled throughout the first and second floor of my home. A strong odor was detected in the air, and it went into all the closets on both floors, affecting most of the clothing in them. I opened the windows in the home to get cross ventilation and waited outside until sufficient smoke at exited so I could go back into my home. At that point, what remained was a foul odor from the smoke, which was from the protein in the oven as well as some of the plastic surrounding the oven.
The next day, when I went to a meeting, several people in the meeting noticed the smoke odor on my clothing and asked if I had been in a fire. This was an uncomfortable situation to say the least, as I was expecting to host family during the holiday season, not to mention the embarrassment experienced in client meetings. Anxious to remedy the odor problem I contacted Odorox Air Technologies (OAT) in Basking Ridge NJ to see if their Odorox equipment might be able to help my situation.
The guys contacted a local Paul Davis restoration firm, who agreed to operate the Odorox hydroxyl generators at my home to assist in the clean up. Felipe Rodriguez ("Phil") from Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling followed the instructions given to him by Odorox personnel, and in a matter of just a few days successfully removed the smoke odor from my house (most of it had dissipated after just one day). Paul Davis had installed three of the Odorox machines on the two floors as well as a number of fans to move the air through the house.
Besides the obvious benefit of eliminating the smoke smell, I appreciated not having to leave my home during the clean up processÑthat is because the clean-up process does not use any ozone, which would not have been safe to be around..
It also was interesting to note that the local Maryland Paul Davis folks, having not heard of this hydroxyl technology, were very skeptical of its ability to work. When they came and installed the equipment (shipped to them by Emerald), they said that they could come back the next day with their own equipment to take out the smoke that the Odorox equipment didn't do. When they came back the next day, they were truly amazed at how quickly most of the odors had already been removed much faster than through their more traditional methods they became believers literally overnight. And given that this technology did not require that I vacate my home and dry clean my clothing, treat carpet, etc., they were more than impressed.
Unrelated to the smoke damage, Phil found some mold in my basement (it was from a water leak a few months earlier). I had mentioned that the Odorox equipment could kill the mold spores as well. So once the smoke cleanup was done, and following consultation with the Odorox personnel, I moved one of the Odorox units on the job to my basement to deal with the mold. I am pleased to report the mold is gone with the help of the Odorox and additional clean-up from the restoration crew.
As a business owner and building professional who works with commercial and institutional facilities managers facing odor, mold and other indoor air quality issues threatening their companies, I can say with a great deal of confidence that the Odorox hydroxyl technology will eliminate these types of problems faster and with less disruption and at a lower cost than other previously available means. A big thanks to Odorox!
Peter S. Kimmel, AIA, IFMA Fellow
I would like to share the experience my family has had since bringing an Odorox Slim Line machine in to our apartment.
Please allow me to start by providing some background information. My daughter, who is 6, and I live in a 900 sq ft apartment in a 24 unit building in north Bismarck. We have lived there for over 5 years. My daughter has many health issues including chronic constipation, reflux, sinus issues and her IGG subclass II is low (basic immune deficiency).
Since bringing the Odorox unit in to our home in January, we have had our healthiest winter ever. In the past she has suffered from repeat sinus infections, often times each lasting more than one month. Prior to starting the Odorox Machine she had been fighting the same infection for over three months. We tried three separate rounds of oral antibiotics, an IVIG infusion and IV antibiotics and saw little if any results. Two weeks after instaiing the machine, her congestion was gone and has not returned. Her only infection since was an ear infection. This in itself is nothing sh01i of amazing. She has never gone this long without being placed on some so1i of medicine. We tried allergy medicines, antibiotics (oral and iv), ENT involvement, removed her tonsils and adenoids and nothing provided her with any relief. We also did both skin and blood testing for allergies, both of which came back negative. She herself has noticed the difference and comments on all of the different things she can now smell (flowers, lotions, soaps).
I almost need to mention that I am surprised how well this little machine controls odors.
I can no longer smell what other people in the building are cooking or if they are smoking.
I am truly amazed at the difference this machine has made. I will admit I was highly skeptical that this "magic machine" would do anything for us. In fact, I have even tried shutting the machine off for three days, only to tum it back on as her congestion was returning. I am sold as to the effectiveness and validity of this machine.
Send us a message
Odorox hydroxyl technology destroys 99.9% of germs, bacteria, mold, mildew, voc's and viruses in the air and on porous and non-porous surfaces which can cause illness and infections. MDU/RX FDA approved and safe to use in spaces occupied by people, pets, and plants.