To Whom It May Concern:
This past holiday season, I experienced significant smoke damage in my home from an electrical malfunction in my oven, which occurred when running the oven cleaning cycle on a timer in the middle of the nightÑit appeared that the thermostat had stopped working, and the oven temperature just kept rising and rising. When the smoke detectors went off, I wakened and opened my bedroom door on the second floor and saw nothing but smoke in the hallwayÑI could not even see downstairs. There were no flames, just heavy smoke.
The smoke had traveled throughout the first and second floor of my home. A strong odor was detected in the air, and it went into all the closets on both floors, affecting most of the clothing in them. I opened the windows in the home to get cross ventilation and waited outside until sufficient smoke at exited so I could go back into my home. At that point, what remained was a foul odor from the smoke, which was from the protein in the oven as well as some of the plastic surrounding the oven.
The next day, when I went to a meeting, several people in the meeting noticed the smoke odor on my clothing and asked if I had been in a fire. This was an uncomfortable situation to say the least, as I was expecting to host family during the holiday season, not to mention the embarrassment experienced in client meetings. Anxious to remedy the odor problem I contacted Odorox Air Technologies (OAT) in Basking Ridge NJ to see if their Odorox equipment might be able to help my situation.
The guys contacted a local Paul Davis restoration firm, who agreed to operate the Odorox hydroxyl generators at my home to assist in the clean up. Felipe Rodriguez ("Phil") from Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling followed the instructions given to him by Odorox personnel, and in a matter of just a few days successfully removed the smoke odor from my house (most of it had dissipated after just one day). Paul Davis had installed three of the Odorox machines on the two floors as well as a number of fans to move the air through the house.
Besides the obvious benefit of eliminating the smoke smell, I appreciated not having to leave my home during the clean up processÑthat is because the clean-up process does not use any ozone, which would not have been safe to be around..
It also was interesting to note that the local Maryland Paul Davis folks, having not heard of this hydroxyl technology, were very skeptical of its ability to work. When they came and installed the equipment (shipped to them by Emerald), they said that they could come back the next day with their own equipment to take out the smoke that the Odorox equipment didn't do. When they came back the next day, they were truly amazed at how quickly most of the odors had already been removed much faster than through their more traditional methods they became believers literally overnight. And given that this technology did not require that I vacate my home and dry clean my clothing, treat carpet, etc., they were more than impressed.
Unrelated to the smoke damage, Phil found some mold in my basement (it was from a water leak a few months earlier). I had mentioned that the Odorox equipment could kill the mold spores as well. So once the smoke cleanup was done, and following consultation with the Odorox personnel, I moved one of the Odorox units on the job to my basement to deal with the mold. I am pleased to report the mold is gone with the help of the Odorox and additional clean-up from the restoration crew.
As a business owner and building professional who works with commercial and institutional facilities managers facing odor, mold and other indoor air quality issues threatening their companies, I can say with a great deal of confidence that the Odorox hydroxyl technology will eliminate these types of problems faster and with less disruption and at a lower cost than other previously available means. A big thanks to Odorox!
Peter S. Kimmel, AIA, IFMA Fellow
My husband and I recently purchased a condominium apartment which has a few severe issues. Firstly, it had yellow nicotine covered ceiling, walls and air vents. Secondly, there was extensive soiled broadloom throughout. The odor in the dwelling was a sickly combination of nicotine, animal waste, and extreme mustiness due to the animal refuse/waste.
The previous owner was a chain smoker. She resided in this 2,400 square foot, three level condominium for just over 13 years. The areas most affected by the nicotine were the kitchen, dining room and the family room. Further, the dwelling was vacant for over one year. This resulted in the nicotine, animal excrement and dirt compounding over time and spider webs and a thick layer of dust had visibly accumulated on the ceilings and walls.
We started by scrubbing every surface. The ceilings once cleaned were still yellow and the nicotine odor was still very strong. One could not spend much time there without one's eyes starting to burn and itch. We then spray painted all the ceilings with an oil based paint and subsequently painted every surface of the dwelling. Unfortunately, the nicotine odor was still quite heavy. We then removed the entire broadloom and under pad. We cleaned the cement floor with a special cement-cleaning product before installation of the new under pad and broadloom. Unfortunately, even after we completed all this, the odor was still there. Cleaning, painting and installing new broadloom throughout had still not solved the air quality issues we were facing.
The furnace and ventilation systems were a major concern. How could we clean and solve the areas we could not physically access? Along came The Boss. I had heard about the hydroxyl technology from a friend. Clearly, no matter how much we cleaned, scrubbed, painted or replaced, there was no way that anyone could reside here unless all the odor and bacteria were totally removed.
The Boss, a non-contained Hydroxyl Generator is easy to use and quiet. We ran the unit with and without the air conditioner on as we wanted the air going through the vents to eliminate the odor and bacteria there as well. We ran The Boss for a period of two to three days on each level of the three level condominium apartment. The Boss was miraculously successful in solving our air quality problem. The condominium apartment not only looked clean but also felt and smelled clean.
It was evident that even though we scrubbed, painted and replaced all the old flooring, without the help of The Boss, we would have never been able to achieve the level of clean air quality we required. The odor and bacteria were all eliminated. I can only imagine the multitude of applications this product could be used for. It is light, easy to move and is quiet to operate. Thanks to The Boss, we were able to complete our restoration.
Thanks for bringing such a great product to market!
Odorox hydroxyl technology destroys 99.9% of germs, bacteria, mold, mildew, voc's and viruses in the air and on porous and non-porous surfaces which can cause illness and infections. MDU/RX FDA approved and safe to use in spaces occupied by people, pets, and plants.