Eliminate that "stale and musty" smell from bathrooms and old houses using Odorox/Pyure Hydroxyl Processors
The first time that you notice that you have a mildew or mold smell in your home you need to make sure that you know how to eliminate mold, stale smell, mildew odors, musty odors so that you can make sure that your home is safe. Many homeowners automatically start to fear the dangers of black mold/Stachybotrys chartarum in their home and all of the medical problems that this can cause when it is not addressed right away and taken care of by an expert. While it may be difficult, it’s important to remain calm when you notice these smells in your home. Just because there is a musty odor doesn’t automatically mean that your home is contaminated and dangerous to live in. Even if you do have dangerous mold, you can easily get rid of it by getting professional help or following the guidelines set out by the CDC.
Any mildew smell needs to be investigated so that you can make sure that you don’t have other mold symptoms. Look for the following symptoms of “sick house”syndrome, which will necessitate an immediate response and care to take care of the problem: clearly visible mold growth that is on the ceilings, walls, water filters, or other materials, cracking or peeling paint that is located around window encasements or doors, inhabitants who are dealing with medical problems. Some symptoms that you will need to be aware of include joint pain, sneezing, itchy or watering eyes, sexual dysfunction, and even nausea.
Most odors in your home are caused by the presence of VOC’s (volatile organic compounds). Mold is a very common source for these compounds, but they are not only produced by mold. Check the basement for water – if there isn’t any then you probably have another source of the musty odors in your home. Even if there is water, you may have some mold, but it may not be the main problem.
The Source of Mold & Mildew Odors
Understanding the source will help you to understand how to get rid of mold, stale smell, mildew odors, musty odors.
Mold that is actively growing will produce volatile compounds, and some of these can cause your home to smell musty. Because people can detect many of these volatile compounds at low concentrations, the mold doesn’t have to be sporulating to be noticed by people. It is possible that mold in your home is nearly invisible. Even carpet that looks clean and new can be the cause for musty odors if it is located in the basement, and removing it can greatly improve the odors in the home. When you are wondering how to get rid of musty odor old home, you also need to consider whether the wall behind your paneling may be damp, as this can allow mold to grow and flourish, as well.Drying the wall will take care of this problem, if it is the cause. You may have to remove the paneling for the best result. In the carpet and behind the wall, you may notice that there are few spores, which can be caused when the mold isn’t sporulating or the produced spores are trapped and have been unable to reach the air, which is a good thing.
What Mold & Mildew Smell Like
Many people mistake the smell of wet concrete for a musty or moldy smell. Mold can grow on damp concrete, but generally the smell is just the water trapped in the concrete producing the odor that you smell. While standing water doesn’t normally result in mold growing, it can allow bacteria to thrive, and this can create volatiles that may smell musty, making homeowners believe that they have a mold problem.
If you want to know how to eliminate mildew smell in basement, then you need to consider dehumidification. This will remove damp odors and mold.
Using an Odorox/Pyure hydroxyl processor at the same time will ensure that you can kill mold spores and even deodorize the space to prevent further odors.
Even if your home is completely dry, you may have some musty smells. These can be caused by old polishes and waxes or wood and paper breaking down. In these cases, you don’t need to use a dehumidifier, but you do need to consider how to deodorize your space.
Send us a message
Odorox hydroxyl technology destroys 99.9% of germs, bacteria, mold, mildew, voc's and viruses in the air and on porous and non-porous surfaces which can cause illness and infections. MDU/RX FDA approved and safe to use in spaces occupied by people, pets, and plants.