Infections caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa are life-threatening and occur when bacteria gets into a person’s bloodstream. While this bacterium is present in most every part of the body, it can infect people who are sick. It is common in the intestinal tracts of healthy people and is found in moist areas of skin and in saliva. This common bacterial pathogen is associated with pneumonia, acute lung infections, and chronic lung disease. This bacterium grows in many environments such as human infection, water, and soil. It is a pathogen for people who have lung disease such as cystic fibrosis or who undergo some medical procedures. The problem is that healthy people can carry this bacterium without knowing it and without experiencing any medical problems. While mostly healthy people may experience hot tub rash or swimmer’s ear, people who are weak can have deadly infections in their bodies. Doctors and scientists are working hard to learn how to best stop spread of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa bacteria.
People who spend time in the hospital are at risk of infection. The bacteria are able to spread quickly through cleaning supplies, medical equipment, and food. Patients who are weak because of surgery or illness can become very sick and die. People with puncture wounds or burns can get dangerous infections in their urinary tracts, blood, or bones. Bacteria can also enter the body through needles and even catheters. Moist environments such as swimming pools and hot tubs are common breeding grounds. This bacterium can be a major problem for people who wear contacts. If bacteria are allowed to infect contact solution and grow there, then it can cause an infection. Getting medical care right away is imperative if that has occurred and is the best way to save your sight and start treating the infection.
The symptoms of an infection can vary depending on where the infection is located. Open wounds may have a blue-green pus either in the wound or near it while an ear infection will cause the ear to ache. Pneumonia will manifest as a cough. Infections elsewhere in the body can cause fatigue and malaise. Septicemia is caused when the infection is in the bloodstream and can spread throughout the body.
Antibiotics are the best treatment and there are usually two kinds used for best results. If the antibiotics don’t work, then surgery may be required to extract infected tissue. It’s important that patients take all of their antibiotics or they may not be able to kill the bacteria. When this happens, then the infection will not get better and the doctor will need to come up with another way to treat the patient and kill Pseudomonas.
It’s important to do everything possible to avoid Pseudomonas infections since this bacterium is becoming more resistant to antibiotics. Frequent hand-washing and the isolation of people who are sick are great ways to help stop the spread, but there are other steps to take, including:
Not sharing razors and towels Covering scrapes and cuts and keeping them clean Practicing good hygiene habits Regular hand-washing with soap and water Never using antibiotics for another person or neglecting to finish your course of antibiotics There are also ways that you can help to prevent spreading the bacteria, including: Keeping your environment clean by relying on a disinfectant to eliminate Pseudomonas on surfaces such as light switches, countertops, and doorknobs Make sure that your wounds are clean and covered and not letting people touch your wound without proper protection Washing all clothes, towels, and sheets with detergent in warm water and then drying them in a very hot dryer Sanitizing the air and surfaces with Hydroxyls Making sure that anyone who comes into contact with you washes his or her hands, especially if he or she has touched your wounds or changed a bandage It is very important that you do everything you can to prevent the spread of these bacteria and one way that you can improve the health and sanitation of your office or home is by relying on an Odorox Hydroxyl Generator air machine. These produce Hydroxyls that are able to kill and eliminate any germs or bacteria in the space.
To Whom It May Concern:
This past holiday season, I experienced significant smoke damage in my home from an electrical malfunction in my oven, which occurred when running the oven cleaning cycle on a timer in the middle of the nightÑit appeared that the thermostat had stopped working, and the oven temperature just kept rising and rising. When the smoke detectors went off, I wakened and opened my bedroom door on the second floor and saw nothing but smoke in the hallwayÑI could not even see downstairs. There were no flames, just heavy smoke.
The smoke had traveled throughout the first and second floor of my home. A strong odor was detected in the air, and it went into all the closets on both floors, affecting most of the clothing in them. I opened the windows in the home to get cross ventilation and waited outside until sufficient smoke at exited so I could go back into my home. At that point, what remained was a foul odor from the smoke, which was from the protein in the oven as well as some of the plastic surrounding the oven.
The next day, when I went to a meeting, several people in the meeting noticed the smoke odor on my clothing and asked if I had been in a fire. This was an uncomfortable situation to say the least, as I was expecting to host family during the holiday season, not to mention the embarrassment experienced in client meetings. Anxious to remedy the odor problem I contacted Odorox Air Technologies (OAT) in Basking Ridge NJ to see if their Odorox equipment might be able to help my situation.
The guys contacted a local Paul Davis restoration firm, who agreed to operate the Odorox hydroxyl generators at my home to assist in the clean up. Felipe Rodriguez ("Phil") from Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling followed the instructions given to him by Odorox personnel, and in a matter of just a few days successfully removed the smoke odor from my house (most of it had dissipated after just one day). Paul Davis had installed three of the Odorox machines on the two floors as well as a number of fans to move the air through the house.
Besides the obvious benefit of eliminating the smoke smell, I appreciated not having to leave my home during the clean up processÑthat is because the clean-up process does not use any ozone, which would not have been safe to be around..
It also was interesting to note that the local Maryland Paul Davis folks, having not heard of this hydroxyl technology, were very skeptical of its ability to work. When they came and installed the equipment (shipped to them by Emerald), they said that they could come back the next day with their own equipment to take out the smoke that the Odorox equipment didn't do. When they came back the next day, they were truly amazed at how quickly most of the odors had already been removed much faster than through their more traditional methods they became believers literally overnight. And given that this technology did not require that I vacate my home and dry clean my clothing, treat carpet, etc., they were more than impressed.
Unrelated to the smoke damage, Phil found some mold in my basement (it was from a water leak a few months earlier). I had mentioned that the Odorox equipment could kill the mold spores as well. So once the smoke cleanup was done, and following consultation with the Odorox personnel, I moved one of the Odorox units on the job to my basement to deal with the mold. I am pleased to report the mold is gone with the help of the Odorox and additional clean-up from the restoration crew.
As a business owner and building professional who works with commercial and institutional facilities managers facing odor, mold and other indoor air quality issues threatening their companies, I can say with a great deal of confidence that the Odorox hydroxyl technology will eliminate these types of problems faster and with less disruption and at a lower cost than other previously available means. A big thanks to Odorox!
Peter S. Kimmel, AIA, IFMA Fellow
PuroClean of Tampa Bay has had the opportunity to work with a hydroxyl generator that we purchased from Tom McArdle. We have used it with fires, mold damage, and smoke odor removal.
The technology has really added to our "tool set" and has worked very successfully to improve the outcomes of our emergency cleanups.
But, even more, it has been a privilege to work with Tom and Michael McArdle. They are tremendously responsive and supportive to our business needs. Time and time again they have gone "over and above" to help us get the job done more quickly with exceptional results. Soon after we purchased our first Odorox generator, we used it in a condo where one of the owners had been a heavy smoker for over 15 years. Unfortunately, the owner had painted over the nicotine stains and the odor on their walls, thereby, locking in the smoke odor. When our one machine could not clean it, Tom and Mike brought 3 more machines to get rid of the smoke odor completely. In addition, they came out daily to the condo to check how it was working and kept following up to see what else they could do.
Both Mike and Tom are exceptional business colleagues. We look forward to working with them, and their technology, long into the future. If any customers would like to contact us to discuss the product in more detail, Ali and I would be happy to speak with potential clients.
Mary O'Hara President
PuroClean of Tampa Bay
Odorox hydroxyl technology destroys 99.9% of germs, bacteria, mold, mildew, voc's and viruses in the air and on porous and non-porous surfaces which can cause illness and infections. MDU/RX FDA approved and safe to use in spaces occupied by people, pets, and plants.